San-Diego Comic Con came back with a vengeance.
Considered to be the biggest entertainment and comic-book convention annually, SDCC took over the July 21st-24th window all over social media following a three-year hiatus. And for good reason.
Movie announcements, trailers, actor and director panels, and more became the social media spectacle that we have yearned for.
Here is a major recap of movie/tv announcements and trailers that we received from sunny California over the past few days!
- Black Panther: Wakanda Forever showed off its first trailer, and wow did it not disappoint. I have watched the trailer five times already and teared up each time I did. The trailer(which we will have a full article for shortly) showcases the direction director Ryan Coogler and the cast are taking the nation of Wakanda in following the tragic death of Black Panther actor and star Chadwick Boseman in August of 2020. We receive our first look at Tenoch Huerta’s new MCU character Namor, a possibly flooded Wakanda, and someone new in the Black Panther vibranium armor. Watch the trailer here!
- We are getting two more Avengers movies… AND IN THE SAME YEAR!!! Possibly the biggest mic drop from President of Marvel Studios Kevin Feige that we got, he announced two new Avengers movies set to hit theaters in 2025 – Avengers: The Kang Dynasty, and Avengers: Secret Wars. No directors are currently linked to either movie, but we would expect some announcement in the coming year on that front.
- Charlie Cox is returning as Daredevil. That’s it. That’s the Tweet…. Sorry this isn’t Twitter? Well either way, the devil of Hell’s Kitchen is set to make his return(in a new costume) to the MCU in the She-Hulk: Attorney at Law and Echo Disney+ series’ in the coming year, but he is now set to return in his own show Daredevil: Born Again. Vincent D’Onofrio was also announced to be returning as Wilson Fisk
- We got trailers for both She-Hulk: Attorney at Law and for I Am Groot! Both are set to hit Disney+ starting this August
Batting lead-off on the Saturday of Comic-Con is always an uphill battle, especially with Marvel Studios breathing down your neck later in the afternoon. DC had no small feat. Here are the highlights from the DC panel of announcements.
- We got a new trailer for Black Adam, which is set to hit theaters on October 21st 2022. Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson came on stage in possibly the coolest way possible before the trailer was shown to the SDCC crowd. With smoke behind him, and lightning flashing across the main screen, Johnson came out in his full costume stating “The DC Universe will never be the same again.”
- Coming up just before the Black Adam set was the panel and first official trailer for Shazam: Fury of the Gods. Zachary Levi and Asher Angel are returning as Billy Bastion/Shazam and are set to take on Helen Mirren and Lucy Liu, amongst others. This movie looks amazing and it’s December 21st, 2022 release date cannot come soon enough!
- No word was mentioned about The Flash, Aquaman 2, or any other project currently in development at DC. It was overall quite a light panel.
Trailers, Trailers, and More Trailers
Here are just some of the other trailers that we got at SDCC!