Being involved in local government is incredibly important. And being Mayor is the popular, high profile role that most people know about.
Most times getting a position like Mayor involves campaigning, and months of marketing. Well, State College’s mayor Donald M. Hahn is leaving to become a judge and State College needs a new mayor by the end of the year. The Borough Council has 45 days after the vacancy to find a new Mayor and they were accepting applications. Hopefully you applied!
- What is the process to appoint a new Mayor? Find it here.
- How much time needed? In 2018, it is estimated that Mayor Hahn spent approximately 18 hours per week working.
- Who can apply? The selected candidate must be at least 18 years old and a State College resident.
- How long is term? The elected Mayor will fill the remaining 2 years of the term (normally a 4-year term).
- What does the Mayor do?
- The Mayor is the presiding officer of Council
- The Mayor is the ceremonial head and official representative of the Municipality.
- The Mayor does not have the right to vote upon any matter before Council, but the Mayor shall approve or veto any ordinance of Council
- Does the Mayor get paid? The Mayor’s position is part-time with a small salary.